Guiding Principles for Assessment of Student Learning Outcomes
Kishwaukee College is committed not only to providing excellent, innovative, and affordable educational opportunities to our students, but also to measuring our success in providing those opportunities. To that end, we endeavor to develop student outcome measures that are in line with the following basic principles.
- We affirm the importance of developing student learning outcomes that are derived from our mission statement: At Kishwaukee College, we are passionate about enhancing lives and fulfilling dreams. We provide excellent, innovative, and affordable education in a welcoming environment to learners who can benefit from diverse programs and services.
- We maintain that the outcomes we develop should be applicable to all of the different constituencies of learners we serve, including those in transfer programs, those in career technology programs, adult education programs, developmental courses, and continuing education.
- We believe in the importance of measuring outcomes in both curricular programs and co-curricular programs and services such as athletics and student organizations.
- We affirm the importance of measuring outcomes at all levels (college level, program level, course level) and recognize that different measuring instruments may be appropriate at different levels.
- We maintain that the importance of outcomes measures is to be found in their invaluable role in the continuous improvement of the educational opportunities we offer at all levels.
- We believe that developing, measuring, and using student learning outcomes is a dynamic process, one that should be a regular part of what we do both in planning and delivering educational opportunities and demonstrating our accountability to our learners, our community, and our accreditors.
Institutional-Level Student Learning Outcomes
Kishwaukee College is "passionate about enhancing lives and fulfilling dreams" for all learners who pass through our doors. To that end, we aim to enhance learners' lives by guiding them in the development of a set of four core competences that will enable them to fulfill their dreams.
Learners will be able to understand, apply, and analyze concepts. Learners will develop the ability to organize their thinking about concepts according to the dictates of sound reasoning, as appropriate. Learners will demonstrate the capacity to formulate appropriate conclusions based on their reasoning.
Learners will exhibit the ability to recognize connections and transfer concepts between areas, as appropriate. Learners will demonstrate the ability to synthesize concepts and ideas. Learners will use innovative thinking and explore multiple perspectives in formulating solutions to problems encountered in different aspects of their experience.
Learners will be able to formulate a central message and share it with others. Learners will demonstrate the ability to support that central message and present their discourse according to sound organizational principles. Learners will exhibit an appropriate command of the elements necessary for communicating that central message to others.
Learners will demonstrate awareness of their own culture and how it relates to other cultures. Learners' interactions with individuals from diverse cultures will be informed by their ability to empathize with those individuals. Learners will develop an attitude of curiosity toward their own and other cultures, as well as openness toward other cultures.