Outlook Web App (OWA) provides email access through a web interface to a secure site, allowing users to read email from anywhere with an Internet connection without having to configure a browser or email client software.
Students can already forward their Student E-mail (hosted by Google) to their smart phones and tablets, and now faculty/staff can too! We're now allowing faculty/staff to forward College E-mail to a personal device; though, there are some necessary conditions in place to minimize the risk to the College.
Additionally, since this is an optional service, we need to minimize any cost increases to the College by limiting what support you can get from IT for your personally owned device.
Procedure to enable ActiveSync for Personal Devices:
- Submit a Help Desk ticket requesting ActiveSync for Personal Devices.
Help Desk: http://www.thinkhelpdesk.com/kishwaukeecollege/usr_job.cfm
- When you receive the ActiveSync for Personal Devices Service-Level Agreement (SLA) and the Request and Acknowledgement form, read the SLA, print and sign the Request and Acknowledgement form, and send the signed form to the Help Desk. IT will send these documents to your College E-mail account.
- When IT receives your signed form, we will verify that you have a signed AUP on file with the College. If you don't have an AUP on file, we’ll forward you an AUP to sign and return as well.
- IT will enable the ActiveSync feature for your account and then notify you via the Help Desk ticket E-mail notification that the ActiveSync feature has been enabled. We will also include the connection information in the Help Desk ticket notification. This step could take as many 5 working days from our receipt of the signed form.
- You can then configure your personal device to connect to the Kishwaukee College Exchange Server using the configuration information provided. If you need assistance, you will need to contact your service provider.
If you discover later that you no longer want that service, either give us a call (extension HELP) or submit a Help Desk ticket and we'll disable that service for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I go to access Outlook Web App?
You can get your email account by opening Internet Explorer and entering webmail.kishwaukeecollege.edu in the address bar.
What is the format for campus email addresses?
What password do I use and how do I change it?
Why are some emails from employees or students (@kishwaukeecollege.edu) identified as junk email?
To protect users from spam, junk, and malicious emails; Kishwaukee College is protected by a junk email filter. Email identified by the filter as possibly being spam/junk/malicious email will be delivered to a junk email folder rather than the inbox. Over time, outside individuals will modify their spam/malicious email to make it look like it is coming from someone at the college to try and bypass the filter. Due to this disruptive activity, it is possible that some legitimate messages will be identified as junk email.
College staff can help improve the filtering system by regularly inspecting their junk email folder and identifying legitimate messages with the Safe Senders List. To add an email to the safe senders list: In an email message you've received from that sender, right click on the sender's name, select Junk Mail, then choose Add Sender to Safe Senders list, or Add Sender's Domain to Safe Senders list.
Where can I find more information about email best practices at the college?
The Marketing department has assembled best practice information: Email Best Practices
You have a total of 1 GB for your account. An email reminder will be sent to your account before you are over quota.
How can I find how much space I have left in my quota?
To find your quota, put your mouse pointer over the first folder that has your name and a box will appear with your information.
What happens if I go over quota?
If you go over quota you will still receive emails but you will not be able to send any email until you are under your quota. To increase your free space, empty the deleted items folder or the sent items folder.
Can I request a larger space quota?
If you feel you need a larger quota for your account, please contact the Help Desk.
Why is the quota size so small?
In comparison with other colleges, the amount of space offered is very generous. In addition, keeping large amount of email in your account increases the chances your mailbox will become corrupted.
How can I free up space in my quota?
To increase free space:
|Delete items from your inbox.|
|Empty the deleted items folder - with your mouse, right click on the folder and choose empty folder.|
|Empty the sent items folder - with your mouse, right click on the folder and choose empty folder.|
|Download attachments from emails to your network drive, delete the original email with the attachment.|
Yes, all message from the college email system will include a email disclaimer.
NOTICE: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
WARNING: Although our organization has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, we cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.
To help protect your mailbox from unauthorized access, Outlook Web App automatically closes its connection to your mailbox after a period of inactivity when logged in under the public option.
Will employees be able to create and share their own calendars?
Yes, in Outlook Web App you will be able to share your calendar with any employee at Kishwaukee College.
Can I set up a meeting in my calendar and invite users?
Yes, in Outlook Web App you will be able to set up meetings with any employee at Kishwaukee College. Click on the Calendar, then new Meeting Request to start the process
What will happen to legacy calendars?
They will keep working for now, in the future we will work with departments to have legacy calendars moved to Outlook.
Will organizational signatures be mandatory?
No, but signatures are highly recommended.
How do I create a signature ?
At the top of the Outlook Web App page, click Options > Settings > Mail.
In the E-Mail Signature box, type and format your signature.
To add your signature to all outgoing messages, select the Automatically include my signature on messages I send check box.
The approved College signature would follow the following format in Times New Roman 12 pt font, black, with no background color or design:
Name (first and last)
Title and/or Department
Phone Number (815) 825-2086 x 0000
Fax Number (Optional)
Email address (optional)
How can add an email to the safe senders list?
In an email message you've received from that sender, right click on the sender's name, select Junk Mail, then choose Add Sender to Safe Senders list, or Add Sender's Domain to Safe Senders list.
- Enabling “Don’t move e-mail to my Junk E-Mail folder” stops the Junk Mail Filtering process for Outlook Web App.
- If you select “Trust e-mail From my contacts” e-mail from any address in your Contacts will be treated as safe.
- If you select “Don’t trust e-mail unless it comes from someone in my Safe Senders and Recipients list or local senders” option: In addition to Safe Senders and Recipients and Blocked Senders, you can use this setting to treat all e-mail as junk unless it comes from someone included in your Safe Senders and Recipients list or from senders in your shared address list.
How do I use the Out of Office Assistant (vacation mail)?
In Microsoft Outlook Web App (OWA), the Out of Office Assistant (vacation mail) option allows you to collect messages in your Inbox while you are out of the office, and replies automatically to incoming messages.
- In the upper right corner of the OWA window, click Options.
- Click on Set Automatic Replies.
- To set a time frame for the Out of Office auto-replies to begin and end, check Send replies only during this time period.
- Next to "Start time:", select the month, day and time.
- Next to "End time:", select the month, day and time.
- Compose the auto-reply in the text box.
- Click Save.
Why can't people see my Out of Office Assistant (vacation notice) off campus?
Auto reply messages are limited to on campus email addresses. Recipients off campus will not receive auto reply messages in an effort to prevent spam and malicious email.
Contacts allows you to create a Group list. When you are addressing an email and select a Group contact name, the email will automatically be sent to all members of the list.
- On the Contacts toolbar, click the new tool down-arrow and select Group. The Untitled Group window will open.
- In the Group Name field, type the name of the group.
- To add members:
- If the individual is already one of your Contacts, in the Members field, begin to type a name.
Otherwise, click the Members link.
- The Address Book window will open. In the Search field, type a portion of the individual's first or last name.
- Double-click the name that you wish to add to the Group. The name will be added to the Members field at the base of the window.
- On the right side of the window, click the Add to Group button.
- On the toolbar, click Save and Close. The new group will be added alphabetically to the Contacts, reflected by an icon that looks like multiple heads
Recover Deleted Items will allow you to recover items that have been deleted. Right click on Deleted Items and choose Recover Deleted Items. These items will be available for 14 days.
Currently attachments can not be dragged and dropped between E-mail messages. Attachments need to be saved from the original message and then attached to the new message.
Click Options in the top right-hand corner of Outlook Web App and select Create an Inbox Rule from the drop-down menu.
Choose New from the Inbox Rules menu.
In the drop-down menu under When the message arrives, Select It includes these words in the subject or body
The Specify Words or Phrases dialogue box will open.
Type the words you would like to detect in the text field and click the plus sign.
In the drop down menu under Do the following select a destination.
Learn about Inbox Rules:
Inbox Rules Video:
The settings in the Spelling tab apply to the Internet Explorer web browser. If you access OWA with Firefox, Safari or the Chrome web browser, the browser's spell checking feature is used.
1. Open Outlook Web App
2. When the Outlook Web App opens, go to the upper-right corner of the screen, click Options and select See All Options.
3. When the Options screen appears, go to the left pane and select Settings.
4. In the right pane, use the menu at the top and select Spelling. Check the Always check spelling before sending checkbox.
5. Click Save at the bottom of the window.
Learn more about the Spell Checker in OWA:
Double-click on the message to open it in a new window. Click the Printable View button at the top of the window.
A print dialogue box will pop up. Adjust the settings and print options before you send the job to your printer.
In your web browser choose favorites
Choose add favorite.
Choose favorites to access your favorites menu and Outlook Web App.
How can I create an icon on my desktop for Outlook Web App?
In the address bar of the browser, left click and hold on the Outlook Web App icon.
Drag the icon to your desktop.
How can I enable auto-forwarding?
Auto-forwarding of Kishwaukee College employee E-mail is not enabled on the exchange server.
With Exchange Server and OWA, we have a much more robust and feature-rich E-mail system that provides access to the same E-mail on and off campus. We also have the ability to more effectively collaborate with each other using the Calendar Scheduling Assistant and Shared Calendars. The snag is that the collaboration features are only useful if everyone uses our E-mail system.
Why does the system log me out when I press reply, forward, or new?
You may need to clean out your temporary files and cookies.
In Internet Explorer go to tools, internet options. Open browsing history, then click the delete button. This will bring up the “delete browsing history” window. Make sure all check boxes are checked. If you have a checkbox that says “preserve favorite web site data” uncheck this box or it will not clean out all temp files and cookies. When done click delete.
You may also need to close the browser and re-open it for everything to be cleaned out properly.
Why do email addresses not work some times?
Generally, these issues are related to entering an incorrect email address, some common mistakes;
- firstname.lastname@example.org The @kc is for internal use only.
- Nicknames - Bob instead of Robert.