Degree Portfolio Requirements
As part of Kishwaukee College's assessment program, students intending to graduate with an A.A., A.E.S., A.F.A., or A.S. are required to submit a Degree Portfolio. The Degree Portfolio is used by the College to assess the degree to which our graduates have mastered our general education goals.
Below are the results of the percent of Graduates Meeting or Exceeding Requirements of the Portfolio for the past three years:
|Introduction to Portfolio||86.1||88.2||94.9||96.6|
|Application of Terms/Facts/Concepts||76.5||77.5||72.8||76.7|
Why does Kishwaukee College want me to create a portfolio?
- Reflecting on your educational experiences at Kishwaukee College can help you to discover more about how you have grown as a student, and may help you to grow stronger as a learner and as a person. The reflection process may also assist you in setting future goals.
- The portfolio will be used by the College as one of a number of assessment tools that measure how effectively the College meets the educational needs of our students. The College uses this information to continuously improve the teaching/learning process to benefit our students.
Portfolio Due Dates:
- Fall 2014 Graduation - Due December 5, 2014
- Spring 2015 Graduation - Due April 24, 2015
- Summer 2015 Graduation - Due July 24, 2015
- Fall 2015 Graduation – Due December 3, 2015
- Spring 2016 Graduation – Due April 28, 2016
Preparing Your Portfolio
- Here are Guidelines to help you to successfully prepare your Degree Portfolio
- Apply for graduation by completing the Graduation Application Form (PDF).
- Submit your portfolio to Library staff at the Library Circulation Desk by the appropriate due date. No folders or notebooks please, as envelopes will be provided.
- Fill out the check list indicating that your portfolio is complete and that you have applied for graduation.
- Upon being checked in by instructional staff you will receive an e-mail indicating whether your portfolio was accepted as complete or if incomplete what items are needed for completion.
In order to assist you in preparing a Degree Portfolio that will meet expectations, download and review the PDF versions below of examples of past submissions that have met the Portfolio Review Committee expectations.
- Multi-Source Paper Sample 1
- Multi-Source Paper Sample 2
- Application Sample 1
- Application Sample 2
- Quantitive Literacy Sample 1
- Scientific Literacy Sample 1
- Creative Thinking Sample 1
- Cultural Attitude Sample 1
Get help putting together your Degree Portfolio! College faculty will provide the guidelines for your portfolio submission and guidance on how to successfully complete this transfer degree graduation requirement.
- November 19, 2014 from 2:00-3:00 p.m.
- November 20, 2014 from 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- November 20, 2014 from 5:00-6:00 p.m.
All workshops meet in A1102, Library Classroom. Light refreshments will be provided.
What else should I know about the degree portfolio process?
- Your degree portfolio will not be returned to you. Therefore do not submit original work that you may want to keep. Make and submit copies of your work.
- College-level work is expected in all item submissions (That is, from course numbered 100 and above, and no work from classes numbered 097, 098, etc.). You can use appropriate items from another college from which you have transferred in credit if work from Kishwaukee College courses is not available.
- Follow the requirements of the guidelines and scoring rubrics, not your paper grade, when you make your selections.
- Clean copies of work are required. The work should not show the grade given to you by your instructor.
- Audio or video recording of your presentations or speeches, or computer files of art work may be included in your degree portfolio. Just remember that these items will not be returned to you, so submit a copy of them.
- All writing included in the portfolio is evaluated. This includes the introduction, individual item cover sheets, and actual assignments submitted.
Submit portfolios to:
Staff at the Library Circulation desk
Direct Inquiries about the preparation of your portfolio to:
Phone: 815-825-2086, ext. 3640
Direct Inquiries about the submission of your portfolio to:
Steven E. Squier
Dean, MSB Division
Phone: 815-825-2086, ext. 2070