Art has the capacity to enrich each person by providing an outlet for expression that can be pursued and expanded throughout a lifetime. The Kishwaukee College Department of Art courses are designed to fulfill the needs of three distinct groups:
- The art major planning to transfer to a four-year institution to complete a baccalaureate degree program
- The student needing a transferable elective
- The student-at-large seeking personal enjoyment and growth.
The Transfer Art Courses
Transfer art courses stress creativity, the development of visual and critical thinking abilities, basic technical skills, and personal expression. Demonstration, slide lectures, group critiques and individual instruction are used both in and out of class for projects to solve visual problems initiated by the instructor. Small classes and accessible faculty maximize the learning experience.
Facilities and Resources
The Department of Art’s 5000-square-foot space offers the following facilities.
- A 2-D Studio that supports 2-D design, drawing, painting and printmaking.
- A 3-D Studio that supports 3-D design, ceramics, metalsmithing & jewelry design.
- A Photography Studio equipped with enlargers for black and white processing.
- A Computer Studio that supports graphic design and digital photography.
- A centrally located Art Gallery for exhibiting traditional and innovative artwork.
- A variety of hand and power tools
- Glass enclosed display cases for exhibiting both two and three dimensional student projects
- A growing collection of over 1600 art books and 20 art and design periodicals in the Library
- Over 200 art videos in Media Services
- Secure storage for student materials and work
As with most programs in the liberal arts, a wide range of occupations are open to baccalaureate (bachelor’s degree) graduates who major in art. However, working as a professional typically requires an advanced degree, either a master’s or master’s of fine arts.
For more information regarding career information, visit the Visual Arts Career Guide.
Art Department Activities
In an ongoing effort to promote interest and understanding in the fine arts, the Art Department:
- Visiting artist opportunities, which brings practicing artist to campus to discuss their work and careers
- Provides opportunities for students to showcase their work in Juried Student Art Exhibits held in the Kishwaukee Art Gallery
- Sponsors awards for outstanding work produced by our students
- Sponsors a theme show each Fall semester that includes a piece from each student enrolled in any studio course
- Co-Produces the Kamelian art and literary magazine with the finest examples of student art, photography and writing
- Is continually developing the college’s permanent art collection with over 100 paintings, prints, photographs, sculptures and ceramic pieces displayed throughout the campus
- Organizes field trips each semester to galleries, museums and art studios in Chicago, Rockford and DeKalb
Phone: 815-825-2086, ext. 2420