Services for Student and Community Job Seekers
The Career Center (CC) at Kishwaukee College offers a wide variety of services to assist you with your job search--from beginning to end. Our professional staff provides resources and consultation on the ins and outs of initiating a job search, writing a resume and cover letter, and interviewing techniques. The Career Center offers annual job fairs, access to employment listings, information on employers, WinWay® resume software, career exploration programs, mock interviews with video option and a computer lab to assist you in your job search.
Resume and Cover Letter Assistance
WinWay® Resume can help you write a professional-looking resume. The software is easy to use and a staff member will help you navigate it like a pro. Career Center staff will also critique your resume and cover letter. You can visit the Career Center on a walk-in basis or schedule a one-on-one appointment.
An excellent tool for job seekers is collegecentral.com/KishwaukeeCollege, an on-line job board. This password-protected job bank is offered in partnership with several northern Illinois community colleges.
As part of your job search, you can:
Search for part-time or full-time positions!
Upload your resume and let employers search for you!
Build and forward your online career portfolio to employers!
Find internship leads locally or nationwide!
Receive information about jobs and upcoming events geared towards your major!
Download job search tips or listen to Podcasts to keep your skills sharp!
Simply go to collegecentral.com/KishwaukeeCollege to register. You will need an e-mail address to establish your password.
Student Employment on Campus (Federal Work-Study)
Student Worker Hiring Process:
- Locate positions you are interested in either outside of the Career Center (C2123) or by going to MyKC Career Center Portal page.
- Submit the following documents to the supervisor listed on the job description or to the Career Center:
- Student Worker Application
- Class Schedule
- Financial Aid Award Letter (if applicable)
- The supervisor for each department will set up interviews and make a selection from there.
- Once a student is made an offer, they will be required to complete hiring paperwork.
- Please note: ALL positions will require a background check!
- Student Workers are able to work a maximum of 20 hours/week
- Student Workers must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and be taking 6 credit hours at Kishwaukee College for the fall and spring semesters. Your position will be in jeopardy if you do not maintain these two requirements.
- Students are paid directly twice a month and the funds may go towards whatever the student chooses. It does not have to go towards a specific item like books or tuition.
- No positions are guaranteed to students, even if they qualify for Federal Work-Study, everyone must go through the Student Worker Hiring Process above.
Marketing Yourself On-line
Learn to leverage the internet and social media to assist you in your job search!
Do not wait until you graduate to start utilizing these important job search tools.
According to a 2012 survey by JobVite.com, the use of social media for recruiting has been expanding and the trend is expected to continue.
- Only 14% NEVER review a candidate's social media profile while 48% ALWAYS check the profile
- 92% of employers planned to leverage social media networks for recruiting
- 89% of employers have hired through LinkedIn
Other tools to explore:
- Career Portfolios
- Online ID-iocy
- Job-Hunt's Directory of Professional Associations
- Market Yourself Packet - Pick up one from the Career Center today!
LinkedIn Profile, ePortfolio and Project Website development coaching available through the Career Center!
Not sure what you want to major in or what you can do with the major you've selected?....Then, you need Career Cruising!
You can get on-line assistance in evaluating your interests and researching possible careers; link those interests and abilities to academic goals and discover possible careers that you are passionate about.
You can also link with professionals in DeKalb and Ogle Counties, through KishCareerLink.
Username: kishwaukee Password: kougars
Glassdoor for Students
This version of Glassdoor is geared specifically to students!
It allows you to search all positions by area, entry-level positions only, or internships only. It also provides excellent background information about companies, potential salaries, and reviews from curent and past employees to give you an idea of what it might be like working for an organization or business.
Community Affiliation - Illinois workNet Center
Go to www.kishwaukeecollege/edu/go/worknet for more information and a schedule of events or call 815-901-0177.
Contact the Career Center
Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
815-825-2086, ext. 4080