KCAA Constitution and Bylaws
The name of this organization shall be the Kishwaukee College Annuitants Association (KCAA).
The purposes of the Kishwaukee College Annuitants Association shall be to:
- Promote the individual and collective interests and welfare of Kishwaukee College annuitants/retirees and their spouses/survivors and SURS participants/current employees;
- Promote discussions with and service to the college;
- Improve communications between the college and its retirees and current employees;
- Promote social events for its members;
- Promote discussion and participation with other annuitant organizations in the State of Illinois;
- Actively pursue communication with legislators on matters having an impact on retirees and SURS participants/current employees.
Membership in the KCAA shall be open to all members of the State Universities Retirement System (SURS) including:
- Current faculty-staff of Kishwaukee College who are eligible for SURS benefits or are receiving SURS benefits
- Retirees, their spouses and survivors
Membership in the KCAA includes membership in the State Universities Annuitants Association (SUAA).
An Executive Board consisting of the following officers shall conduct the affairs of the Kishwaukee College Annuitants Association: Past-President, President, President-Elect, Treasurer, and two Member(s)-at-Large.
The Past-President has a minimum of a one-year obligation, and may remain on the executive board for a maximum of a two-year term. The President, President-Elect, Treasurer, and Members at Large shall each serve a two-year term. The Treasurer and Members at Large may be elected to consecutive terms. The President-Elect, Treasurer, and Members at Large shall be elected at the annual membership meeting. Terms of office shall begin at the close of the annual meeting with the exception of those appointed to serve remainders of terms vacated. Vacancies on the Executive Board shall be filled for the unexpired term by a vote of the members of the Board. A majority of the members of this Board shall constitute a quorum.
The Board shall arrange for an annual membership meeting to be held in the spring and for other meeting(s) as shall be deemed desirable. At each meeting the Board and Committees shall report on all activities of the organization and on the highlights of SUAA activities.
The Board shall appoint a special committee of the membership to audit the financial records of the Treasurer and report at the annual meeting.
Duties of Officers
The President shall prepare an agenda for and preside at all meetings and serve as the official spokesperson for the KCAA.
The President-Elect shall become the President upon the conclusion of the current President’s term. The President-Elect shall preside at the meetings when the President is unable to be present and shall record minutes of all meetings. The President-Elect shall also assist the President in planning programs for the annual meeting and other membership meetings of the organization.
The Treasurer shall, maintain membership records, maintain records of receipts and expenditures of all funds, and submit regular reports at meetings of the KCAA. The Treasurer will submit new membership applications, dues, and changes of membership status to the SUAA Office.
The Member(s)-at-Large shall act as public relations and membership-recruitment chairpersons and represent the KCAA as requested by the President.
Election of Officers
Within three months prior to the end of the two-year term (annual membership meeting), the President, with the advice and consent of the Executive Board, shall appoint a nominating committee of at least two members. This committee shall select candidates for the Executive Board positions to be filled, secure the consent of the proposed nominees to being placed on the slate, and present the names of the nominees to the membership at the annual meeting. Additional nominations, with the consent of each nominee, may be made from the floor at this time. The Executive Board shall determine the election procedure.
The Executive Board shall designate such committees as shall advance the work of the KCAA. The President with the approval of the Executive Board shall make appointment to committees.
Membership dues include both the State Association (SUAA) and local chapter (KCAA). Dues for SUAA are set by the membership of the Association. Dues for KCAA shall be set by the local chapter. Dues for both KCAA and SUAA shall be payable at the time of joining and each year thereafter.
The Executive Board may accept voluntary donations as well as monies earned from fund-raising activities.
Revised April 29, 2003 Proposed March 2012/Proposed October 2012, Revised October 26, 2012
A committee appointed by the President shall make review of the Constitution every three years. Amendments may be proposed by the Executive Board or by petition signed by five or more members of the KCAA. Such amendments shall be presented for vote at the annual meeting. A majority vote of members present is required for passage.
- A minimum of two regular business meetings will be held each year. The annual elections of officers of the KCAA shall be conducted at the annual meeting. A quorum shall consist of members present, and a majority vote of members present shall be required for passage of motions or election of officers.
- Other meetings, business or social may be called throughout the year by the Executive Board or by petition of five or more members.
- The Executive Board shall meet a minimum of four times a year. Ad hoc committees shall be appointed as required. The President shall be an ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee.
- Requests for reimbursements shall be submitted to the President for approval and given to the Treasurer for payment. Items, which are reimbursable expenditures, shall be part of a budget prepared for adoption at the annual membership meeting.
- Amendments and additions to the By-Laws may be proposed by the Executive Board or submitted to the Executive Board by petition signed by five or more members of the KCAA. Such amendments shall be presented for vote of the membership at the annual meeting. A majority vote of members present is required for passage.
Constitution and Bylaws adopted at the meeting of the KCAA on May 7, 2002.