Resources, Recourse, and Remedies for Addressing gender-based or sexual misconduct

Because individuals experience and respond to incidents of gender-based or sexual misconduct in different ways, Kishwaukee College provides a variety of formal and informal  options for reporting and obtaining help and recourse for such incidents in the event you encounter them. We encourage you to review the information below about your options for support, assistance, and reporting, so that you can make an informed decision based on your personal needs.  As your needs may change or evolve, please be aware that you may choose to use different types of support or response at different times.


If you have been the target of any act of sexual violence or other sexual misconduct, our first concern is for your safety and well-being.  In addition to resources offered on campus by the College for students who have been affected by sexual misconduct, services are available off campus through local community agencies. You may seek out any College or community resources that may be of assistance to you.

On Campus

If you are not sure whether you would like to proceed with formal action (such as filing a police report or reporting the incident to the College), there are formal support options for you to consider as you weigh that decision. The Counseling Center can be a good place to start if you are not sure where to go, and is a confidential resource.
Counseling Center:  C2110 815-825-2086, ext. 5070

Local Community

The following resources are not affiliated with the College but may be helpful, especially in assisting you with various needs that are not directly related to your educational program and experiences at the College:

Police Department Emergency

Dial 9-1-1

DeKalb Crisis Line

(866) 242-0111

DCFS Child Abuse: Child Abuse Hotline

(800) 252-2873

Domestic Violence: Safe Passage 24-Hour Hotline

(800) 756-5228

Domestic Violence:  HOPE of Ogle County

(815) 562-4323

Rape Crisis and Abuse: 24-Hour Rape Hotline

(800) 656-4673

Sexual Assault and Abuse: Sexual Assault Hotline

(815) 758-7922

Sexual Assault Counseling:  Rockford Sexual Assault Counseling 24-Hour Hotline

(815) 562-8844

Suicide Hotline: 24-Hour Suicide Hotline (1-800-SUICIDE)

(800) 784-2433

National Hotlines


National Center for Victims of Crime

(800) 394-2255

National Domestic Violence Hotline

(800) 799-SAFE

National Sexual Assault Hotline

(800) 656-HOPE

Reporting allegations of misconduct

A person who believes he or she has been subjected to gender-based or sexual misconduct by a student or students may file a complaint alleging violation(s) of the Student Code of Conduct.  A person who believes he or she has been subjected to such misconduct by a College employee (faculty or staff) may file a complaint through the Human Resources Office.

Reasons why you may wish to formally report gender-based or sexual misconduct include:

  • To seek formal action against someone, such as removing them from a class or campus, or putting a letter in their file;
  • To educate the person who is the subject of your report about why his or her behavior is improper, through use of the campus conduct or complaint process;
  • To make the College aware of the behavior in case it is part of a larger pattern of misconduct affecting others in the College community;
  • To obtain assistance in changing classes or other on-campus arrangements; and/or
  • To receive support in coping with a situation.

Additional or interim remedies such as mediation may also be provided concurrently with or in lieu of an investigation or student conduct proceeding. Mediation will not ordinarily be used to resolve sexual assault complaints. Individuals may choose to seek action or assistance both on campus as well as through the community.

To Report Confidentially

If you are concerned to keep details of the incident confidential, you may speak with on-campus mental health counselors, campus health service providers, or off-campus rape crisis resources who are legally entitled to maintain the confidentiality of your communications with them in almost all situations. Campus counselors are available to help you free of charge, and can be seen on an emergency basis. In addition, you may speak off-campus with members of the clergy and chaplains, who will also keep reports made to them confidential. You may wish to consider this option if you:

  • Would like to know about support and assistance, but are not sure if you want to pursue formal action against the individual, or
  • Have questions or would like to process what happened with a counselor, without involving police or campus disciplinary procedures.

NOTE:  Please be aware that even confidential resources have obligations to report, such as in situations of imminent danger and/or sexual abuse of a minor.

Reporting To Those Who Can Maintain Confidentiality Of Your Report

You can seek advice from certain sources which are not required to tell anyone else your private, personally identifiable information unless there is cause for fear for your safety, or the safety of others. These include College employees whose job responsibilities do not entail supervising other employees or authority to investigate, discipline, or provide remedies for sexual misconduct, such as faculty members, advisors to student organizations, career services staff, admissions officers, or student activities personnel. If you are uncertain of an employee’s duties and ability to maintain your privacy, ask him or her about this before you provide details concerning your situation. If that employee does not believe that he or she can keep the information you wish to discuss confidential, he or she may be able to refer you to a staff member who is in a position to do so.

Some of these resource personnel are instructed to share incident reports with their supervisors, but will not share personally identifiable information about your report unless you give permission, except in the rare event that the incident reveals a need to protect you or other members of the community.  If your personally identifiable information is shared, it will be shared on a need-to-know basis with as few people as possible, and efforts will be made to protect your privacy.  You may wish to consider this option if you:

  • Are not sure if you want to pursue criminal or campus action, but have questions;
  • Would like your experience to be included in the annual statistics about sexual misconduct incidents that occur on the College’s campus
  • Would like a low level of support, such as switching to a different section of an instructor’s course or seeing a different advisor.

NOTE:  While these individuals are not required to report your identity, they may choose to do so in an effort to best assist you.

Non-confidential reporting options

The College prefers to investigate and address gender-based and sexual misconduct.  Therefore, you are encouraged to make formal reports of such incidents to campus police; deans, directors, or other administrators with supervisory responsibilities; the Office of Student Services, or the Office of Human Resources. Notice to these College individuals or entities is official notice to the institution. You can expect that the College will investigate formal reports of sexual misconduct, and resolve and address such misconduct charges through administrative procedures.

When a formal report of sexual misconduct is made, only people who need to know will be told of the report, and information concerning it will be shared only as necessary with investigators, witnesses, and the accused individual. Please be aware that if you file a formal report, your identity may, due to the circumstances and details of the incident, be known to the person or persons about whom you are complaining.  You may wish to consider this option if you:

  • Would like formal action taken against the individual(s) involved. Formal action can include College assistance in obtaining a restraining order, order of protection, filing criminal charges, or student discipline or employment action if the individual is found to have violated Student Conduct Code provisions, or College employment policies or rules.
  • Would like the College to be on notice of the alleged gender-based or sexual misconduct, in case it happens again or may be part of a pattern of such misconduct.

If you would like to learn more about the campus conduct process or what is involved in an investigation or formal report, please contact the Student Conduct Officer of the Dean of Student Affairs.

Title IX Compliance

The Title IX Coordinator(s) oversee the College’s investigation and response to these gender-based and sexual misconduct. Students who wish to submit a complaint relating to discrimination or harassment may do so by reporting the concern to:

Nancy Partch
Dean, Student Services
Kishwaukee College
21193 Malta Rd. 
Malta, IL 60150
815-825-2086, ext. 2610 
John Acardo
Director, Human Resources
Kishwaukee College
21193 Malta Rd.
Malta, IL 60150
815-825-2086, ext. 2203

Students with complaints of this nature also have the right to file a formal complaint with the United States Department of Education:

Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-1100
Customer Service Hotline #: (800) 421-3481
Facsimile: (202) 453-6012
TDD#: (877) 521-2172

Twitter Facebook Youtube Foursquare

Supporting our Veterans